Paperback, $60.00 / £47.00 ISBN: 9781939594327
Hardcover, $95.00 / £74.00 ISBN: 9781939594334
E-book, $55.99 / £44.00 ISBN: 9781939594341
Queer Studies: Beyond Binaries:
- Engages undergraduates with a narrative that applies key ideas to their own lives and experiences.
- Questions various binaries (“either/or” pairings) to help students examine their own sexual identity and gender expression.
- Reviews foundational concepts from queer theory and queer history to create a deeper understanding of the concepts.
- Emphasizes an intersectionality approach that demonstrates how one’s identity is the product of multiple characteristics such as sexuality, gender, race, class, and dis/ability.
- Uses a multidisciplinary approach drawing from the social and natural sciences, humanities, and arts to provide a broad overview of perspectives.
- Details an individual or an event in Spotlight on sections to highlight the experiences of queer people.
- Provides questions for class discussion or field activities in Issues for Investigation sections that apply the ideas covered in the chapter.
- Allows instructors to shape the class with different foci using the stand-alone chapters in Part III.
- Features an Instructor’s Resource Manual available to adopters with 20+ PowerPoint slides for each chapter, sample syllabi for a variety of courses, teaching tips for using the Spotlight On and Issues for Investigation sections and the suggested readings, a test bank with objective and essay questions, and student aids such as keywords, chapter outlines and summaries, and learning objectives.
Designed for undergraduate courses in Queer or LGBT+ Studies requiring no prerequisites, Queer Studies: Beyond Binaries also serves as an excellent supplement in courses on queer theory or history, or on sexuality, gender, and women’s studies.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Queering “Queering”: A Way of Seeing/Experiencing/Knowing
PART I: Queering Language
PART II: Queering Identity
2. Queering Desire
PART III: Queering Contexts
7. Queering School
PART IV: Queering Imagination
12. Queering Imagination
Imagining Utopias in Queer Studies